Chilewich’s newest weave for the table is also available in six sizes for the floor, with self-bound edges and commercial-grade backing for durability. Plaid’s three tactile and multi-dimensional colorways are all available as area rugs or floor runners, creating warmth and interest underfoot in both rustic and minimalist spaces. Whether displayed with pine wood floors and leather furniture or iconic midcentury designs, the timeless aesthetic of Plaid completes a thoughtful and unpretentious look.
All woven floor mats are made from Chilewich’s durable signature woven textile bonded with a flexible commercial-grade backing. Made in USA with TerraStrand® and Microban®. Custom sizes available.
- Small: 58.42cm x 91.44cm / 23 Inch x 36 Inch
- Medium: 88.9cm x 121.92cm / 35 Inch x 48 Inch
- Large: 116.84cm x 182.88cm / 46 Inch x 72 Inch
- X-Large: 182.88cm x 269.24cm / 72 Inch x 106 Inch
- Sm Runner: 66cm x 182.88cm / 26 Inch x 72 Inch
- Lg Runner: 76.2cm x 269.24cm / 30 Inch x 106 Inch
- Available in Lapis colour.
- Best suited on dry surfaces.
- Vacuum to remove loose dirt.
- Do not iron. Do not machine wash.
- If necessary, clean with a residential carpet cleaner or wet mop the surface. Lift the mat off the floor and allow face and backing to air dry completely before placing the mat on the floor again.
- Avoid use of rubber castors or placing objects made of rubber on the woven floor mat, discoloration will occur.
- When moving or storing, roll up your mat with weave facing outward.
- We recommend you occasionally lift and air out your woven floor mat.
New York based designer Sandy Chilewich founded Chilewich in 2000. During the last 13 years Chilewich has designed innovative textiles for numerous applications. Best known for her placemats and floor mats, her products are marked by ingenuity and elegance. Made almost exclusively in the US, their product line of vinyl placemats and floor mats can be seen in homes and better restaurants around the world. GR Shop carries a full line up of these colourful, practical products for your table and your floor!
Chilewich Plaid Floormat Designed by:
- Sandy Chilewich
According to Sandy Chilewich, one of her biggest motivators is to create “a new function from something familiar,” exactly what she did when she produced her award-winning Raybowl, introduced in 1997. The first design from her studio, Chilewich, it consisted of a simple wire steel frame covered in stretchy power mesh. Chilewich already knew a thing or two about stretchy fabric: with Kathy Moskal in 1978, she co-founded legwear company HUE – a wildly successful endeavor that they eventually sold before forging out on their own in 1994.
Trained as an artist, Chilewich continued experimenting with natural and synthetic materials, pushing their physical and functional limits. Leveraging the success of Raybowl, she moved on to create a completely new design material. In 2000, she introduced floor mats, placemats and totes made from her propriety woven vinyl. Soft and flexible yet extremely sturdy, the material, which she dubbed “plynyl,” was the result of an intensive research process. “The durability of this extruded yarn, the intrinsic sheen of the material, its tremendous design versatility, and the fact that it is washable inspired me then and continues to inspire me today,” explains Chilewich. It won her the coveted Editor’s Award at the 2001 International Contemporary Furniture Fair (ICFF) and solidified her career.
Over the years, Chilewich has expanded her collection with new textures, colors and products, including wood grain vinyl prints, striped patterns, asymmetrical placemats and floor mats and even iPhone cases. She continues to redefine how people dress their tables and cover their floors around the world with her innovative textiles.