The humble peppercorn wasn't always so...
Black Pepper is so commonplace we often take it for granted, but that has only been the case in recent history. The peppercorn, which has been used by humans for thousands of years, was once traded like currency, earning it the nickname 'black gold'. These days - even while yielding a modest price and being readily available - the prominence of pepper in every kitchen, cracked over your poached eggs, or subtlety sprinkled in a Bouillabaisse, doesn't make it any less deserving of your attention. How you grind your peppercorns will ensure you are maximizing its flavor, potency, and longevity; a freshly cracked corn atop the most modest of dishes adds an air of sophistication.
Chances are that if someone were to ask you to picture a pepper mill, in your mind's eye, you would - unwittingly - be picturing a classic Peugeot Pepper Mill, with its' bulbous noggin, curvaceous sides, and solid wood. Everything about the design of these mills are synonymous with grinding the world's most important spice
The Peugeot Mill is to the Chef, as the Eames Lounge Chair is to the furniture designer, as the iphone is to the software engineer, as the .... can you see where we're going with this?
5 things you probably didn't know about the iconic Peugeot Mills:
- Although there is no substantiated proof, Peugeot is widely considered to be the inventor of the pepper mill. Before 1842 pepper had been ground mainly by versions of the mortar and pestle design for thousands of years. Talk about innovation!
- Peugeot has been making their quintessential pepper mill longer than they have their cars. The family business that preceded the current Peugeot company was founded in 1810 under Napoleon's Empire, and manufactured coffee mills and bicycles. In 1842 they expanded their production to include Pepper and Salt Mills.
- Peugeot is pronounced 'PER-zhoh'. Please pass the
- The durability and longevity of the Peugeot is second to none. Made from the highest-quality steel, the precision parts are guaranteed for life -- you'll never need another! Easy to hold, twist, and load.
- The 'U-Select' model that was launched in 2004, giving users the ability to accurately adjust the grind of the pepper -- from very course to very fine.This mill has been repeatedly ranked as one of the top pepper mills year after year.
Backed by decades of innovation and superior craftspersonship, the Peugeot Mill is deserving of that special spot next to your stove. Classic model not your taste? You'll find a fabulous array of shapes, sizes, styles, and finishes at our shop. They make a fantastic wedding gift to boot!