“We fidget to focus.” This, according to Formway Senior designer, was the central thesis that informed MultiGeneration by Knoll®. Contrary to popular assumption, foot-tapping, pen-twirling and position-shifting actually help people stay engaged.
Therefore, MultiGeneration is designed to allow for and encourage movement, while still providing adequate support. The shape and material of the shell give the chair a buoyancy that prevents the user from feeling “locked in” while the arm and leg positions allow for 270 degrees of movement.
The optional hybrid base for MultiGeneration is a unique design solution that combines the comfort of a cantilever form with a sturdy four-leg construction, giving the option of mobility from casters and freeing up the front corners for various postures. Cantilevered chairs have dynamic frames that respond to a user’s weight, but typically they cannot accommodate casters, which are desirable in a multipurpose chair, nor do they have front leg structures that can limit the user’s leg movement. Four-leg chairs are sturdy and allow for casters, but they don’t have a dynamic frame. Formway selected the most desirable attributes of the traditional base types to create the MultiGeneration hybrid base, a melding of cantilever and four-leg constructions.
MultiGeneration serves the functional purposes of a side chair, with the consideration and ergonomics of a standalone seating solution.
- Formway Design, 2015
- Constructed using minimal materials and PVC free
- Powder coating and adhesives are virtually VOC-free
- Overall Height: 86.1 cm / 33.9 inch
- Overall Width: (armless) 52 cm / 20.5 inch, (fixed arm) 65 cm / 25.6 inch
- Overall Depth: 55.6 cm / 21.9 inch
- Arm Height from Seat: (non-upholstered) 23.1 cm / 9.1 inch, (upholstered seat) 22.3 cm / 8.8 inch
- Arm Height from Floor: 68.3 cm / 26.9 inch
- Inside Distance between Arm Rests: 52.8 cm / 20.8 inch
- Seat Height: (non-upholstered) 43.9 cm / 17.3 inch, (upholstered seat) 44.7 cm / 17.6 inch
- Seat Width: 45.9 cm / 18.1 inch
- Seat Depth: 41.4 cm / 16.3 inch
- BIFMA level® 3 certified
- Rated SMaRT© Sustainable Gold
- Greenguard and Greenguard Gold Certified
- Can contribute to achieving U.S. Green Building Council LEED® credits
- Open design for 270° sitting
- Passive flex encourages natural movement
- Dynamic Seat Structure features a composite spring
- Available with casters or glides
- Upholstered seat pad
- Rolled top edge serves armrest when side sitting, or handle for transporting
- This chair has been tested and is approved for use by individuals weighing up to 300 pounds
This chair and other Knoll office chairs have no shipping charges.
Boasting an extensive portfolio of products ranging from office work systems and residential mid-century modern classics, to textiles and accessories, Knoll is a leader of modern and sustainable design. Iconic designs from classic designers such as Harry Bertoia, Eero Saarinen, Warren Platner, Isamu Noguchi and Florence Knoll herself make up a large component of Knoll's collection, along with innovative contemporary pieces. Knoll's products can be found in private residences and major art museums alike, including 40 products in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. read more...
Founded in 1938, Knoll's reputation for design integrity has a long and decorated history under the guiding principle: "good design is good business." Knoll invests in extensive research, field studies, customer collaborations, and partners with experts from the fields of architecture, organizational behavior, technology and business management to ensure that its products adapt and respond to the evolving needs of their customers. Environmental needs and requirements are not overlooked by design house either. In fact, Knoll is also considered a leader in production practices that reduce waste, conserve natural resources and protect the biosphere.Knoll has a strong international presence in the design world - headquartered in Pennsylvania, USA with showrooms across North America, Europe and represented by dealers throughought Latin America and Asia. www.knoll.com