The Belleville Chair is a technically sophisticated plastic chair consisting of two components - a structural frame and a seat shell. Tracing the calligraphic lines of the legs and back, the slender black frame supports a thin shell that tapers from the wide seat surface into a narrow backrest. The characteristic, forward curving armrests offer relaxing comfort and the model with the plastic seat shell is also suitable for outdoor use. Paired with the Belleville Tables, the Belleville Chair and Armchair form a unified yet diverse group - a hybrid family of furnishings whose forms and materials are harmoniously coordinated. Thus the chairs and tables - in small or large numbers - can be attractively combined in bustling bistro settings as well as sleekly modern galleries or diversely styled home environments.
- Belleville Chair Plastic: Seat, base and frame: injection-moulded polyamide.
- Belleville Chair Wood: Seat shell: moulded plywood, protective natural lacquer finish. Base and frame: injection-moulded polyamide.
- Belleville Chair Fabric: Seat shell: moulded plywood, polyurethane foam padding, fabric cover. Base and frame: injection-moulded polyamide.
- Belleville Chair Leather: Seat shell: moulded plywood, polyurethane foam padding, leather cover. Base and frame: injection-moulded polyamide.
- Height: 83 cm / 32.75 inch
- Width: 55 cm / 21.75 inch
- Depth: 50 cm / 19.75 inch
- The plastic seat shell version is suitable for outdoor use
- The plastic and wood seat shell versions (with or without arms) are stackable (up to 6 chairs)
Vitra is a Swiss company dedicated to improving the quality of homes, offices and public spaces through the power of design. Their products and concepts are developed in an intensive design process, bringing together engineering excellence with the creative genius of today’s leading international designers. It is Vitra’s goal to create furniture and accessories that are functional and inspiring. Founded in 1950, Vitra produces many products from internationally recognized designers such as Verner Panton, Isamu Noguchi, Eero Saarinen and Jasper Morrison.
Vitra Belleville Chair Designed by:
- Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec , 2015
Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec
Ronan - France, 1971 / Erwan - France, 1976
Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec’s working collaboration is a permanent dialogue nourished by their distinct personalities and a shared notion of diligence with the intention to reach more balance and fineness.
In 1997, they presented their Disintegrated Kitchen at the Salon du Meuble in Paris and were spotted by Giulio Cappellini, who gave them their first industrial design projects, notably the Lit clos (“Closed Bed”) and the Spring Chair. A meeting with Vitra’s Rolf Fehlbaum resulted in their conception of a new kind of office system, Joyn, in 2002. This was the beginning of a special partnership that has borne fruit in numerous projects, including Algues, the Alcove Sofa, the Worknest, the Slow Chair, the Vegetal and L’Oiseau. Since 2004, the Bouroullecs have also been working with Magis, for whom they have designed two complete furniture collections, Striped and Steelwood as well as additional projects such as the Pila chair, the Pilo table, the Central and Tambour tables.
Today Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec design for numerous manufacturers, Vitra, Kvadrat, Magis, Kartell, Alessi, Mattiazzi, Flos, and more recently, Iittala.